View Single Post
(#1)
Old

Default Wedding Crash and Burn - 17-07-2011, 12:59 AM

So just got in from a guy I know from works wedding party - probably not an ideal night to start my journey but I feel at least I've taken my first conscious step. To set the scene there were roughly 80 people there, most older (50's+) and most were couples.

As soon as I arrived I spotted the work group (10 people and their other halfs) so headed over - on the way saw the bride and groom, hug and small talk about their day. The groom immediately shouted out there's a nice bridesmaid over there (hb8) u should buy her a drink. I made my usual excuse went to the bar where the work group were.

This was at 7.30, apart from sitting down for a bite to eat I basically spent the whole of the night (until 12) in the same place, chatting to work group, watching the dance floor. Throughout the night the groom would pop up and say aren't you gonna buy hb8 a drink but needless to say I didn't - she was either on the dance floor or sitting at a table with her group. Towards the end of the night she was in close proximity to where I was standing but again I did nothing. After the last song and people were leaving again she came over and the groom basically brought me into a conversation with her - he disappeared and so it was just me and her, with a few people from work behind me.

hb8 - you don't have to talk to me its ok
me - no its fine how was ur day
hb8 - ah yeh it went really well thanks
me - shame about the weather (it rained all day)

There was a bit of chat about weddings and that we both have another one to go to next weekend but then I went into question mode and reeled off the following

me - so how do you know the bride?
me - so where did you work together?
me - so how you getting home?

There might of been some more but thats the gist of it - we both started looking away and I think there was a well see you later.

Pretty much a disaster and to be honest it feels like I have so far to go at this point.

Things to work on
Act impulsively - when the groom first mentioned her and we saw each other I should of broken the ice by going over and introducing myself.
Don't be so self conscious - get on the dance floor, don't prop up the bar.
Don't interview - I need either some canned material or to somehow relax around woman and try to have fun.
Talk to everyone not just targets - be the life and soul

Advice much needed guys